Thursday, November 18, 2010

THANKSGIVING TRADITIONS

As everyone knows, this month is Thanksgiving. Every family has their own traditions. This year, instead of having it at my house or my son and his family's house, my grandson Corey came to me and asked me if we could have it at his house as he wanted to start his own tradition. I knew it would be coming, but I just wasn't expecting this year. I told him I didn't care. So I pass the baton to him. I always made the turkey, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and green bean casserole. When he asked me to help with the menu, I asked him how many was coming. He said about 15, so how big of a turkey did he need to get. I said, no smaller than a 14 pounds. I then asked him what he wanted to have. He said the usual. He then asked if I could do the turkey, stuffing, and deviled eggs? I said I would take care of Mr Tom and the eggs, and also bake some pumpkin pie. I don't like a lot of spices in my pumpkin pie. My grandfather spoiled me. He always made a pumpkin custard pumpkin pie, and I have made his pie ever since I was old enough. I thought I would share it with you in case there are some, who like me, don't care for the store bought ones.

                                                                Pumpkin Pie

1 - 30oz can pure pumpkin no seasoning (Libby's)
3 heaping Tbl. all purpose flour
11/4 Cup light brown sugar
11/2 tea. cinnamon
1/8 tea. ginger
1/2 tea. salt
    
      Mix together in LARGE bowl or basin. Add 11/2 tea. vanilla, 5 egg yolks directly to the pumpkin mixture.(Put the whites in a small mixing bowl.)  Add 1qt whole milk, 2 Tbl. margarine-browned, and 1-13oz evaporated milk to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Beat egg whites till stiff peaks and fold into pumpkin. Put into unbaked pie crust, and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until an inserted knife into center of pie comes out clean.

If you use this, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment